Coming from Pondicherry, a coastal city in India. I am grown up with seafood. This prawn masala is a traditional dish passed on from my grandma. The secret to this recipe is fresh and well deveined Prawn / Shrimp. This spicy prawn masala is delicious and loaded with flavours. The prawns are cooked in a onion- tomato based masala with spices. Serve with rice/ roti.
- Shrimp/ prawn – 500 gms (Deveined, marinated in turmeric powder+salt)
- Onion – 2 medium
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chilli – 3
- Mixed masala chilli powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp +1/8 tsp
- Cashews (optional) – 4
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cardamom – 1
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Sesame oil
Step 1: Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, fennel powder, cashews, green chillis, curry leaves and saute.
Step 2: Add onions and saute until translucent. Add ginger& garlic paste and saute for a minute. Then, add tomatoes and cook until mushy.
Step 3: Add mixed masala chilli powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and give a quick stir. Add marinated prawns and saute for a minute.
Step 4: Add water (1/4 cup), salt, cover lid and cook for 2-3 mins. Remove lid and cook for 3-5 mins or until dry. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Fry for a longer time, if you prefer it to be more dry.
- Mixed masala chilli powder is a homemade chilli powder with dry red chilli and lentils or ( Kulambu chilli powder).
- After cleaning and de-veining the shrimp, add turmeric and salt.
- Do not overcook prawns.
Please check this recipe in you tube. Subscribe and Share.